In January 2022, the Church Home Board awarded a grant of $145,000 to Literacy Mid-South, a nonprofit in Shelby County whose mission is to bring the gift of literacy to people of the Mid-South. The grant will allow LMS to implement their innovative educational programs for community partners, parents and students in the most vulnerable communities in Memphis. This includes community-facing literacy resources and a focus on food insecurity.
The people of the Diocese of West Tennessee are encouraged to engage with LMS through volunteering. Take a look at the upcoming volunteer opportunities below.
- REP is looking for 30 volunteers to support their Summer Program from 6/13/22-7/29/22.
- The program runs Monday-Friday from 9am – 3pm, and volunteers may serve at any time within that timeframe, for one or more days per week & for one or more weeks.
- Volunteers will serve directly with students in grades K-12 during our summer program. Activities include reading and literacy, math skills development, recreation, mentorship, arts, cultural acclimation, and more!
- REP is looking for 20 volunteers to support their Adult Education program from 4/18/22-12/15/22.
- The program runs Monday – Thursday, 10-11:30 am & 5:30-7 pm. Volunteers can choose one or more time slots per week.
- Volunteers will lead or assist in adult education classes for pre- and low-literate adult learners of refugee or immigrant origin. REP also has a citizenship class and a college support program.
- REP is looking for 8 volunteers to support their Nursery Care program, which runs from 6/13/22-12/15/22.
- The program runs Monday-Thursday, 10-11:30 am & 5:30-7 pm. Volunteers can serve one or more days per week, & one or more weeks per month.
- Volunteers will care for infants and toddlers in REP’s nursery center while their guardians attend adult education classes.
- REP is looking for 45 volunteers to support their After-school Enrichment Program, which runs during the school year.
- The program runs Monday – Friday, 3-7 pm during the school year. Volunteers can serve any timeframe within those hours, for one or more days per week, & one or more weeks per month.
- Volunteers will work directly with students to help with homework, build relationships, build math and literacy skills, develop social and emotional skills, and support cultural acclimation for PK-12th grade students of refugee and immigration origin.
- Anyone interested in volunteering should contact Sara Babb (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The International Consortium of Young Artists
- Looking for 4 volunteers to support their summer ICY Arts summer program from 6/6/22-7/29/22. Volunteers are asked to serve 3-4 days a week from 10am – 1 pm.
- Volunteers will help tutor, support & chaperone students.
- Anyone interested in volunteering should contact Alex Richardson (Sir.email@example.com).